1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe that money cannot buy happiness?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gameaddict, Feb 28, 2017.

1. gameaddict Active Member

gameaddict
    I often hear people saying that money cannot buy happiness but my doubt is whether we can be happy without money. I think if we see it from a pragmatic point of view I must say that living without money is nearly impossible in the present day world. There is nothing free in this world. Even the water we drink and the air we breathe are getting commercialized gradually.

In old days people used to hunt for food and it was almost free but today you can’t eat or drink without paying money. May be some kind people will give your food for today but what about tomorrow? It is true money alone can’t buy happiness but still the fact remains that without money we can’t live happily either.

I am curious to know your thoughts on this.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Krissttina Isobe Krissttina Isobe/oahuwriter

Krissttina Isobe
    Very interesting post and a very good question too. I believe that not only money makes me happy, but many things with money makes me happy. I'm happy I had money to buy my laptop. With my laptop I can do a lot of things. It's a wonderful world when I have money to go to McDonoalds to eat my snack, the Mac Jr. is superb. I know I know fast food isn't the most nutritious, but I like it every once in a while. So in life, you need both money and many other things and people to be happy to me. Without money you can't do anything and would be homeless, so money is a conduit of happiness too, but not the only thing to make me happy. I'll always want more money than I need, always.

Gad likes this.
  3. Decentlady Active Member

Decentlady
    Always a debatable topic drpending on what happiness is to one. Happiness is indeed a relative term and what may be a source of happiness may not be to someone else.

To those who find happiness in tangible things may be able to buy happiness with money while those who find happiness in non tangible things like meditation etc may argue that money cannot biy happiness.

4. Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

Jasmin Cottontail
    Many people say that money can't buy happiness. Well I agree with them but somehow I don't. We all know that all people needs money, whether to live a normal life or a luxurious one, we need it. We work hard for it and I'm not a hypocrite to say that I don't want it. I believe that money can't buy happiness if you meant it literally like buying love or a person to love you and care for you. What I believe is that money can buy things that can make people happy. For instance, if you buy your dad a car, for sure he'll be happy. If you bought your mom a house, she'll surely be thankful and happy, give your family a round trip all over the world I bet they would be so happy. Well you didn't literally bought happiness for your parents/family but you use that money to buy things that can make them happy, so yeah I guess money can somehow buy happiness :)

5. working buck Active Member

working buck
    I do agree, since most of the time I do say "money can't buy happiness, but it pays the internet connection, electric bill, and gaming PC which makes me happy". But when it comes to stuff like having a wife and a family would make you happy, I doubt that someone can buy a happy and perfect family.

6. Alexandoy Active Member

Alexandoy
    In my experience of life, I can say that money can almost buy anything, including happiness. I have been buying lotto tickets since 1994 when the lotto started in our country. And although I buy only once in a while, there is that hope to win the jackpot. And what for? Because I have so many wishes and desires that can be solved by money. First is the necessities like a bigger property with a nice garden, maybe a more expensive car. Second is the travel that I had wished since I was a boy. Going to Europe and America would bring me joy and happiness for sure. And there are so many more to mention but definitely, money can buy me happiness, maybe 95% of may happiness.

7. Jason76 Active Member

Jason76
    I think it can somewhat. In other words, people have dreams and often money is stopping them. On the other hand, though, there are so many stories of rock stars who have committed suicide. Therefore, there is no easy answer to this question. It's a complex one.

8. WilliamV Member

WilliamV
    Dеpеnds оn hоw yоu dеfinе hаppinеss, аs а mеаsurаblе оbjесt (аnd it саn bе аnd it shоuld bе, аs sсiеnсе саn thеn bе mоrе thrоughly usеd tо dеаl with suсh quеstiоns in аn оbjесtivе mаnnеr, nоnе оf thаt idеоlоgy-thingiеs full оf biаsеs). It shоuld bе оbviоus thаt, pеrhаps pаrаdоxiсаlly, this mеаsurе is subjесtivе. Thеrе аrе sоmе gеnеrаl typеs оf mеаsurе, еvаluаtiоn оf lifе, еmоtiоnаl wеll bеing, аnd subjесtivе wеll bеing(SWB). In gеnеrаl thеsе аrе соrrеlаtiоns, but thеrе аrе sоmе сrеdit tо thеm.
    In gеnеrаl, yеs. аnd nоt bесаusе I think sо. еаstеrlin fоund thаt, within а соuntry, riсhеr pеоplе аrе hаppy

9. TheKnight Active Member

TheKnight
    All my worries and stress come from not having enough money. Aside from that, I have my family, I have good health, and I have people that love me but if I had more money, we would rarely stress out. A death in the family can cause stress but being poor and losing someone can get you into a worse position aside from the grief. When you have money, you have grief and not the worry that comes from losing money. Money does buy happiness. I'd rather be sad and rich than sad and poor.

10. kingcool52 New Member

kingcool52
    I think the majority of people in the world would love to have more money so I think it can buy happiness. To a certain extent money can't buy you true happiness because some people may be after true love and I believe that it will be extremely difficult to find someone that loves you truly for who you are as a person when they find out you're rich. But being rich will allow you to buy things like fast cars, massive houses, access to grand parties so most of the time it can buy you happiness. I would rather cry in a lamborghini than a old car :D

11. DR KOKIL AGARWAL Member

DR KOKIL AGARWAL
    • To be specific money alone cannot buy happiness but happiness without money is also impossible. I mean how can you expect a person to be happy if he has loads of pending bills to be paid. The financial pressure and the associated mental burden can never allow anyone to be happy.

12. Gad New Member

Gad
    I somehow agree with this. Money can help someone buy things they do not have and that brings some happiness. However, it is not all about buying stuff. I believe that happiness should come from within, by the friends we have and what we daily engage in. Money could enable you to do anything in this world, but it cannot bring you happiness fully. We have seen cases of rich celebrities committing suicide because of depression. Most lead solitude lives without any friends. Their money cannot bring them happiness. What is the point of having so much money while one's circle is still small. I think having adequate money is ideal, at the same time maintaining friends who bring you happiness.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.