1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you consider Facebook Games "gaming"?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by thisnthat, Oct 20, 2016.

1. thisnthat Active Member

thisnthat
    I keep seeing statistics published for things like how many gamers there are, the different demographics, and I find myself being curious. They must be counting every person who plays Facebook games and mobile games as "gamers." Do you think that's accurate?

I tend to think of a gamer as someone who is really invested in or committed to games that require some knowledge, skill, and usually a bit more time and effort than stuff like having your friend send you a gift.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. TheKnight Active Member

TheKnight
    By definition, those who play any kind of games be it on a console, PC or facebook is called gaming.

Gamers can also fall in the same category. A gamer is someone who spends a considerable amount of their time playing video games.

To my conclusion, anyone who plays games is gaming and anyone who spends a good amount of times playing games is a gamer. All by definition, of course.

working buck likes this.
  3. kamai Active Member

kamai
    I consider any type of game playing gaming. Whether it's on a console or even an app. As long as someone is taking their time and is enjoyng I don't see why it can't be considered gaming. There are many apps and Facebook games that take skill and time to get to different levels of the game, similar to those games played in a console.

4. working buck Active Member

working buck
    I agree, we might call them all as gamers, but in different categories. Others tend to think that only hardcore gamers who play so called hardcore games are the only ones worthy of the "I'M A GAMER" title. Be it retro, mobile, MMORPG or other types of games they are playing. They are considered to be gamers. I see this a lot on forums and social media. Gamers who play DOTA 2 usually bash gamers who play LOL, telling them it's a kids game.

5. TheKnight Active Member

TheKnight
    I've seen that sort of bashing too. It doesn't take skill or game knowledge to be a gamer. All you have to do to be a gamer is play and enjoy games frequently.

working buck likes this.
  6. working buck Active Member

working buck
    True. I did play the first version of DOTA and I played LOL for quite some time too. I haven't tried DOTA 2 yet since I do not have a good PC to use but I do think it's a cool game since I watched some gamers play it. But since they are all games and people enjoy playing them. I do not bash them for playing what they like, since I do not like being bashed too for doing what I love to do.

7. TheKnight Active Member

TheKnight
    It all comes down to ''treat others the way you wish to be treated.'' It's an old quote that you learn as a child in grade school. Unfortunately, people forget it or ignore it.

8. thisnthat Active Member

thisnthat
    Well, I wasn't trying to bash anybody, so I hope it didn't come off that way. I just think when they say stuff like 70% of adults are gamers, or 48% of gamers are kids (these numbers are made up), it doesn't strike me as being too accurate. I think maybe it just needs to be broken down into more distinct categories. The person who tries out a Facebook game probably doesn't have the same thoughts on gaming.

9. Krissttina Isobe Krissttina Isobe/oahuwriter

Krissttina Isobe
    I play at facebook and pch.com and I consider myself a gamer. I've seen some serious numbers by some people playing at pch.com and facebook. I only use my mouse so while I make 6,000 points, others make 46,000 points who got some serious equipment so they can make these points. I still play and do my best and have a lot of fun. I don't consider what you wrote bashing, you just asked people's opinion on gaming is all, so don't worry. I still consider myself a gamer, lol.