1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will You Invest in VR Gaming?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by NotCasual, Sep 20, 2016.

1. NotCasual Member

NotCasual
    VR is getting more and more popular and easier to get on your own gaming setup. The RX 480 is VR-ready and only costs about 200 bucks. The question is, do you actually want it?

I do, but I'm broke. I think it's amazing to look around and experience games as if they were real. I have tried it on my phone with Google Cardboard, and it looked amazing. Especially the rollercoaster. Not to mention VR on PC is obviously miles ahead of the kind you would have on your phone since you would be using a high-performance graphics card and a dedicated VR device.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. AntonioCalcano Member

AntonioCalcano
    Right now I can't see myself investing in VR Gaming. I currently own a VR Headset but it's one of those that you adapt your cellphone into; I bought it mostly for watching movies and riding rollercoasters, my intention wasn't to play games since I know there are better options out there to do that. I think in time I will buy it depending on how it evolves, but for now it's a no no.

3. mauricioq Member

mauricioq
    I like it and I think it's a great step for gaming, but I'm not that interested in it yet. It's still too high price, at least for my budget. I already tried it and there's a lot of potential but there's still a lot of step to take.

4. Damien Lee Active Member

Damien Lee
    No. VR is bombing again (for the 3rd time since the late 80's when VR was first introduced). I don't want to be negative, but VR is not going to be setting the gaming world on fire. It's too impractical, too expensive and VR games aren't that much fun. The sales of VR headsets have been unimpressive, that's a good sign as any that VR will not succeed. VR will be great for the medical industry and any other areas where it can be used as a training device.

joshposh likes this.
  5. sidney Well-Known Member

sidney
    Same here, if only money wasn't an issue then I would gladly invest in one. But with my financial status right now, that is just a luxury and an unnecessary expense. Better luck next time.

6. Staralfur1999 New Member

Staralfur1999
    Was the phone version really amazing? It looks way too simplistic, so I just imagine it would be crap, but I've heard a bunch of people say it's pretty cool.

7. rz3300 Active Member

rz3300
    I would think that it would be a pretty interesting investment, but in terms of it being lucrative, I cannot really say. Sometimes even when the company makes a profit, it does not really translate into a good investment, which for some reason I can see being the case here. There is a lot of R&D involved in something like this, so I would have to think that becomes an issue at some point.

8. DylanRowan Member

DylanRowan
    Not interested right now. I'd rather stick with the quality that current generation consoles are releasing. I really don' want to use $200 for another "console" when I can just play the games with the system I have. I will not buy any virtual reality machine until it is the end of the way we know how to play video games.

9. Rainman Active Member

Rainman
    I won't be investing in VR any time soon. I read somewhere that it will take a while before gamers can get true VR immersion. So while we wait for AMD and Nvidia to make more powerful graphic cards, I'll not buy a VR headset. Eventually I will though (in 5 years time) because I want to play my racing games in VR.

10. joshposh Active Member

joshposh
    Agreed. I was alive back when they made the first attempt at VR. I thought it was cool, but if you can't get one in the majority of households, then there won't be any third party support for it. There might be some players making games, but not a big splash like that created with a normal home console. Like previous incarnations, those that buy it will feel stupid for doing so, because it never took off or ended prematurely.

Damien Lee likes this.
  11. Casiox Active Member

Casiox
    I have never considered VR as something amazing, I've played with an oculus rift and it definitely is not that great, indeed. VR is one of those things that you buy and use a couple of times until you finally get bored.

12. NotCasual Member

NotCasual
    Really? I have a Google Cardboard and I really did enjoy it... Especially the rollercoasters, haha. I can imagine playing games like that being quite the experience. Obviously, you'd need a sweet graphics card. I think my RX 480 would do. Too bad I can't afford the actual VR thingy.

13. Blue Betta Fish Master

Blue Betta
    VR sounds interesting, and I've only had a little experience with it, but I don't think I'm ready to invest in it yet. I still think it needs a lot more work and it needs more interest from the tech community. I want to give it more time to see if it can really hold its own, or if it will face the same sort of extinction as 3D movies have over the last few years. There is a chance I might be kicking myself later, but I usually find that patience pays off.

14. Casiox Active Member

Casiox
    At least you have a good GFX card, I just sold my last PC and therefore, I have nothing at all now :c

15. John Hopkins New Member

John Hopkins
    At the moment, no I will not be. It is way too expensive to buy the VR equipment, and then I need to shell out tons of money on a good PC capable of running it. It is just like PC's when they first came out, only a few people have it but eventually it will be mainstream and that is when I will buy it.

16. biege Member

biege
    Yes I would, only if it's like the NERVEGEAR in SAO. So to say, I'm not really interested. I don't want to strain my neck playing games on this. It's a pretty good technology though.

17. working buck Active Member

working buck
    I think I would but I won't be able to use it for a long time I think. I used this VR given to my nephew last Christmas, it was really good. I literally don't want to give it back but after a few minutes I got dizzy.

18. Krissttina Isobe Krissttina Isobe/oahuwriter

Krissttina Isobe
    VR sounds interesting, but I like free games I play at pch.com or facebook so it won't be anything I'll be interested in yet. I believe that tech things will be cheaper as time goes by, so maybe patience is the best right now, unless you put in on your Christmas list this year or a birthday present. Anyway good luck in getting your VR.

19. Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

Jasmin Cottontail
    I think VR is the future of gaming and more and more people are getting their own VR and investing on it. For me, though I find it pretty cool, I think I won't get one for myself anytime soon since I'm not an avid gamer and I don't see the need in getting one. But who knows, I might be interested in it in the future :)

20. tyche Active Member

tyche
    Well, I can consider buying it, but only if I have lots of money to spare. Right now my PC needs to be upgraded or better yet, replaced, and I should prioritize that over VR gaming, right? VR gaming is a cool thing to enjoy, but not a necessity.